Happiness is a journey

Monday, July 20, 2020



Ladies, the last few weeks have been rough.  Buuuut, sushi helps!

 

We recently moved, so our stuff has been completely unorganized (and this does NOT sit well with my super type A, neurotic tendencies).  We’ve both been extremely busy with work.  There’s CONSTANTLY things that need to be done around the house.  Oh, and let’s not forget…keep small human beings alive, eat 5 small meals per day to maximize your metabolic activity (…or should I be intermittent fasting?!), clean EVERYTHING up behind your small humans so your house always looks show-ready, work out daily so you can get closer to that IG fitness model bod, play with your kids while they cherish this time with you (they’ll probably want nothing to do with you soon), get your kids outside (but not too close to anyone else because we’re living through a global pandemic), put on your daily SPF before going outside, drink plenty of water (and make sure it’s safe to drink, but not OVERLY purified), make a budget so you can be a responsible adult, research healthy living routines for your family, and PLEASE don’t forget to shower and brush your teeth.  

 

As parents, I think we can all agree that sometimes the pressure of life and trying to live up to certain expectations feels insurmountable.  We may have had stressful, demanding jobs in the past, but nothing quite feels as stressful as THIS.  And what a weird dichotomy, right?  Parenthood, something you LONGED for, is also the source of endless exhaustion and anxiety.  Quite literally the biggest joys of your life may also take a significant toll on your mental health at times.  For me, this is probably my biggest source of guilt.  I absolutely adore my kids and family.  I know I lead an incredible life.  I’m endlessly grateful for the people and opportunities God has placed in my circle.  But I don’t always feel content.  There, I said it.  And it was HARD to say.  I’m learning more and more that this may be a lifelong battle.  As cliché as this sounds, happiness is a journey, not a destination.  We need to WORK day in and day out to pinpoint the small victories and practice gratitude amidst the unavoidable stress.  

 

As a self-proclaimed “foodie” (aka I just like to spend too much money at hipster restaurants with pretty margaritas), I get so much out of an occasional date night with my husband.  Trying a cool local spot and just turning my “mommy mode” off for a few hours.  It completely resets me.  

Whatever this looks like for you, PRIORITIZE it and do it!  Wake up before your kids to have some alone time, set time aside to go for a walk and unplug, veg out on the couch with a guilty pleasure show on Netflix.  Your kids will thank you for it!

Post a Comment

Unfancy Friends © . Design by Berenica Designs.