giving grace

Wednesday, July 17, 2019




Merriam-Webster defines grace as the following:
 1.) "unmerited divine assistance given to humans for their regeneration or sanctification."
 2.) "a virtue coming from God."
 3.)  "the quality or state of being considerate or thoughtful."

Let me be the first to tell ya--it is so, SO important to give grace to others. Admittedly, one of the hardest things for me to do is to give grace to someone else when I feel they are, in whatever way, undeserving. (And who am I to even deem someone unworthy?!) Whether they've wronged me or someone I love, it's sometimes a struggle for me to search into the depths and give unyielding grace and kindness to someone who has caused me pain. But you know what's significantly harder for me to do?

Give grace to myself.


It's right there in one of the definitions: "unmerited divine assistance." Unmerited. So often as a mama, I feel like I am undeserving of forgiveness. Piggybacking on my last post, I am often unkind to myself. I fail daily. I sit in the morning, sipping coffee out of my mug emblazoned with the word "mom" on it, and I pray he sleeps just a little bit longer. I hear him start to stir and I begin to distractedly make his bottle or mindlessly heat up his veggies. Sometimes, as mothers often do, I pause, thinking that if I ignore all the noise, maybe he'll fall back asleep, hoping and praying that he gives me the fleeting moments of silence I feel I deserve.

Did you read that, mama? I ask my baby for grace rather than giving it to myself. 

Listen, whether we admit it or not, even the most involved, loving, do-it-all mama feels the need for peace from time to time. Most days, I am engaged, hands-on and ready to conquer the world with sweet Hudson by my side. But sometimes, I need a date night with my husband or even a quick jog around the block. I feel like I don't deserve it. I'm a mom now--this is my life. I don't have time for a solo trip to the grocery store or dinner with the girls. How dare I think I can spend a couple hours away from the baby, have conversations that don't revolve around who's picking up diapers on the way home or scheduling some evening tummy time.

Guess what? You're wrong, mama. You do deserve it and it's okay to want it.

You devote all of your time and energy to someone who requires a LOT of it, draining your own well in the process.

Give yourself grace.

Your days are filled with feedings, crying, cleaning and a questionable amount of human body fluids.

Give yourself grace.

You are the kisser of boo-boos, president of playdates, official chaos coordinator.

Give yourself grace.

You're the fearless wiper of butts that don't belong to you. You organize meals, outfits, appointments, errands. You uplift your child. You console them. You're their voice of reason, the doer of endless laundry lists and handler of repeated temper tantrums and baby breakdowns. It's like you're a Kardashian's assistant but without the exotic vacations and free contour pallets.

Give. Yourself. Grace.

Grace is needed to recharge. It's necessary. Without rest, relaxation and oh, mama, a BREAK, you cannot devote the energy to your child that he deserves because there will be none of it left to give. You need to reconnect with your spouse or even just yourself. Get some fresh air. Be alone. Take a deep breath and appreciate this person God has shaped you to be. Right now, he's molding your clay. He is giving you the grace you need to allow yourself to be re-shaped. Take it. Value it. Recognize it. Run with it. As a certain human ray of sunshine Kat once told me (like, today) you can't pour from an empty cup.

You are so many things to so many people. And in the end, at the core of it all, you are still human. Above all else, you are still YOU.

Love yourself and you will better love others. Find patience with your shortcomings and you will be more patient with your child. Give yourself compassion and that same compassion will spill over into other areas of your life.

Let yourself be loved. You don't have to do it all. Release control. Forgive yourself. Be aware of what season of life you're in and allow yourself to be really, truly be there.

Be gentle with yourself, mama. You have permission to keep trying. You have permission to feel joy. You have permission to breathe.

You can do anything but you can't do everything. It's okay. This feeling is normal. It's needed. It's a reminder to let go and let God, sister.

Give yourself the gift of grace. Immerse yourself in it. And do it all over again tomorrow.

"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." - 2 Corinthians 12: 8-9

-Kaley

Post a Comment

Unfancy Friends © . Design by Berenica Designs.